Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Kindergarten Christians

Every time I hear about how American Christians are being persecuted -- because people don't wish us Merry Christmas, or we're not allowed to install a monument to our version of the Ten Commandments, or someone dares to suggest that maybe churches shouldn't get special tax breaks, or because we're told to stop praying "in Jesus name" at government functions -- I think about a friend's son, and how much trouble he had his first year at school. 

We American Christians are like that spoiled child who ends up in kindergarten and suddenly realizes (Oh, horror!) that there are other children. 

Too many Christians stand at the threshold of the 21st century and shout, "What do you mean I have to spend my time in a pluralistic society? You mean I have to share and cooperate with people from other faiths? Wait! You don't mean atheists too?! Waaaah..." And then they throw a mighty, mighty temper tantrum, hurling insults at everyone around them, and breaking things rather than share them with anyone.

I, for one, loved kindergarten. And I'm loving interacting with all the other people in this great-big, beautiful, pluralistic world. Its worth it, to me, to have to share my holidays with other people, and to learn to cooperate with the other kids on the playground, because the other kids are now my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment